Trump envoy backs Russia’s Paralympic comeback – NYT

Feb 21, 2026 - 20:00
 0
Trump envoy backs Russia’s Paralympic comeback – NYT

Russian athletes were restricted from international competitions after the Ukraine conflict escalated in 2022

US President Donald Trump’s special representative for global partnerships, Paolo Zampolli, has welcomed Russia’s return to the Paralympic Games.

The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) announced earlier this week that Russian and Belarusian athletes, who were barred from international competitions following the escalation of the Ukraine conflict, will take part in the upcoming Paralympic Winter Games under their national flags. The ten athletes from the two countries, who qualified for the event hosted by Milano Cortina in March, would be “treated like [those from] any other country,” the IPC told reporters.

Asked about the development by the New York Times on Saturday, Zampolli replied in a text by saying: “I think sport is for all.”

Trump’s envoy met with Russia’s sports minister and head of the country’s Paralympic Committee, Mikhail Degtyarev, at an event hosted by the Olympic Council of Asia in Tashkent, Uzbekistan in January. Degtyarev said he had a “very good exchange” with Zampolli that addressed issues going beyond sports.

Read more
FILE PHOTO.
Russian and Belarusian flags to return at 2026 Paralympics

The US was also not among the signatories of a statement criticizing the IPC’s initial decision in September to lift the ban on Russia. The document was backed by most EU countries, the European Commission, Japan, South Korea, and Canada.

On Friday, Ukraine and the Czech Republic announced that their teams would boycott the opening of the Paralympics in Milano Cortina due to the participation of the Russians and Belarusians in the ceremony.

“The main thing is not to talk them out of it,” Russian Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova joked in response. State Duma MP and Olympic speed skating champion Svetlana Zhurova called the Ukrainian boycott a “strange” move and suggested “nobody will notice it.”

READ MORE: Trump wants Russia and China on ‘Board of Peace’

Russian representatives have been barred from the ongoing Winter Olympics in Milano Cortina, with only a few athletes competing under a neutral flag in individual disciplines.

Degtyarev previously condemned the exclusion of the Russians as “political discrimination” and a violation of the Olympic Charter. Last year, Russian President Vladimir Putin said athletes should have equal access based on merit, stressing that “politics has no place in sport.”